Thursday

11 March 2010

My maturity levels know no bounds.

Look, I've read all the Twilight books; I have the DVD of the first movie (though I haven't watched it yet; I'm waiting until I can lure the Spouse Thingy into bed, where I will use my wiles--or whatever--to get him to watch it with me, further evidence of how mature I am) so I'm not some anti-Twilight harpy. I don't think the books were stellar literature, but they hit their target market well, and anything that gets kids reading is, IMNSHO, a good thing.

And sure, anything that appeals beyond its target audience is a good thing, too; Stephenie Meyer tapped into the inner young teenager of a whole lot of middle aged women across the world, and sucked them in as easily as the kids.

But even I have my limits.
 
This afternoon as the Spouse Thingy and I waited at the Jenny Craig center, a woman walked in wearing this sweatshirt.

We automatically turned when the door opened; that's what people do, even if they're not expecting anyone they know to walk into a room. But I had to turn away and look out the window, literally clenching my teeth and biting my lower lip to keep from laughing at the absurdity of this 50-some year old woman in capris and Sketchers tennis shoes wearing an obviously loved Twilight hoodie with a giant Edward Cullen head plastered on the front.

Ok, so I wanted her shoes.

And I'm not even 100% sure why I thought the hoodie was so absurdly funny. But I didn't laugh, so I get bonus points for that, right?

I should get points for that.

13 comments:

Peace said...

Whew, glad I won't have to hide my Twilight books if you ever come to visit. I don't own any clothing with Edward on it, I do have a Twilight keychain and I am 50 something. ;)

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

You have more control than I would have had. I would have rolled my eyes and laughed!

Lone Star Purrs said...

I'm having a hard time not laughing right now! I loved the books, and can't wait to see how the honeymoon is handled in the movies. The next movie comes out on our anniversary...wonder if I can get hubby to take me??
~LSP Momma Becca

Willow said...

And a cookie. You deserve points AND a cookie.

Mila said...

Oh, you totally get points for that XD I would have had to cough at the very least to hide my mirth. And >.> I like Twilight too. But I have to say I get annoyed with the movies. I just feel like they take away something essential to the characters. It makes me kinda squirm to watch them lol.

DILLIGAF said...

Could have been worse...could have been me in Bermuda shorts....;-)

Geekwif said...

SO many points. Good lord, that's bad. I mean, on a 16-year-old - yeah, whatever. But a woman in her 50s? I'm sorry that's just ridiculous.

Amie Sugat said...

::snort::

::gag::

I hate clothes that masquerade as artwork, or it it artwork that's attempting a life as clothing?

could care less what movie stars/books its suppose to be about. that hoodie is not fashion..its just wrong!

::walks off mumbling about a mans face painting over the boobs::

Karen Jo said...

You get lots of points for not laughing. I think I would have at least snickered.

yellojkt said...

We have a Twilight free house. No books, movies, and especially no sweatshirts.

Sleepypete said...

Managed to watch the first Twilight film, thought it was ok but have avoided the second and the books ... Appeals to a different market :-)

I have a couple of tops that get looked at ... One is the "Duck Tape" one, another is "If all else fails, Send in the Wookie". I bet one of those would provoke a laugh :-) There's also the subversive "Don't ask me, I make it up as I go" which I reserve for wearing at work on dress down Fridays.

Marti said...

Aw, the Twilight hoody was probably something she picked up at Goodwill.

Diane U said...

That means you can't laugh at me in my Johnny Depp Pirates T-shirt either. (I'm 57 and could take you in a fight) LOL