Wednesday

21 November 2018

He feels like crap today. I woke him up at 7:30 this morning for breakfast, which I don't think I've ever done before. Usually he's hollering for food long before I'm out of bed, so when I went to find him I knew something was wrong, but honestly, I was just glad I woke him and that it wasn't worse.

He waited patiently while I heated up his steak so he could take his pill, but then he sniffed at it and walked away. He came back when he heard the can open, but he sat in the kitchen entryway, changed his mind, headed back to bed, and threw up halfway there. It was all stomach acid,.

Now, he ate well yesterday; everything I put in front of him, he inhaled. The Spouse Thingy grilled a fresh steak for him and he inhaled quite a bit (so did Buddah...and he's fine so I don't think that's Max's problem. The Spouse Thingy had 3 bites and he's fine, too.) But other than licking the surface of his night time snack--brought to him because I didn't think he would come into the kitchen--all he's had today is water.

He looks groggy and he's quiet. I haven't heard a single meow from him today. He sat on my lap for a while tonight, but only for half an hour or so, and didn't stay to watch the episode of Doctor Who we recorded on Sunday. Usually when he sits on my lap, he stays for as long as I'll let him; his getting off is not typical.

I'm hoping it's just a bad day. He's old, he's allowed. But this looks too much like it did when he was so sick just before he turned 4, but this time he doesn't have the reserves to handle not eating for a week.

I know what's coming sooner rather than later, and I'm bracing myself for it. I also think it's only fair to warn people that, even if this is just a bad day, that he's on a definite decline.

And please, no "Oh Max will live until he's 20. Max is tough, a survivor." I don't want him to live that long if he's miserable. And he's 17.5, if he's ready to rest, he's earned that right.

I'll be broken as hell, but... just fair warning.

And I really, really hope he proves me wrong.

15 comments:

Mila said...

*hugs*

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

😔

Unknown said...

Share your time with Max.....best wishes for the both of you....

Amber's mom said...

Hugs for you and gentle scritches for Max

Helen said...

Having been there and done that too many times over the last 3 years I am familiar with the emotions you must be going through. You are a wonderful cat caretaker and Max is such a lucky kitty to have you and your spouse thingy as his people. Enjoy the lap time, enjoy every single facet of him. I wish you a peaceful and loving Thanksgiving. Please smooch Max for all of us in KC.

Anonymous said...

I hope that today is a better day for you and Max!
Susan Saavedra

Shaggy and Scout said...

Precious Max. Sending Love and gentle headbutts from Scout.
-Lynne

angelgypsy said...

Love and hugs

Random Felines said...

Love and purrs

Just Ducky said...

Max buddy, feel better.

Meowers from Missouri said...

Love and a good, warm hug. None of us are ready to lose him, but we all know how this works. 😪😿

Elisa said...

Sending love and hugs. Going through the same type of day with one of our dogs, Chloe.

Shannon akaMonty said...

This is the single reason I'm glad my landlady charges a $500 pet deposit that I can't afford.
I hope for the best and that this will pass and he'll be eating and Who-ing and back to normal. xoxoxoxox

Pat said...

Karen, My heart is with you and Max,

Honeybre me said...

❤️ much love ❤️