Monday

3 July 2017

The Spouse Thingy and I have been walking, looking toward the 3 Day in November. Since the little town in which we live is flat and small and makes me want to poke my eyes out because I've walked so much of it so often, we're finding other places to walk. Last week, we walked around Six Flags--we don't get on the rides, we just walk and then eat tiny cinnamon donuts--and the next day we walked around downtown Sacramento.

It's a decent place for walking, as long as you start before the temperatures go up. We hit 6 miles and had to stop because it had reached 80 and I was feeling nauseated, because heat hates me and wants me to die.

We weren't the only ones there training.


I walked right past a friend, another 3 Day walker whom I've known for 5-6 years.

Here's the thing... it doesn't matter how well I know you; there's a good chance that if we're in the same physical space and I don't expect to see you there, I won't recognize you. It's not personal. There are very few people I would know at a glance. The Spouse Thingy and the Boy, I think, but I won't guarantee anyone else.

So if you see me, and I don't react, it's totally not you, it's me.

Apologies in advance.

And if you do tell me to wake up, don't be surprised if it takes a minute for my brain to engage. I really think my neighbor thinks I'm stuck up because we've run into each other in front of the cat food at Safeway a few times, and I had no idea who she was. If she'd been in her driveway, I would have.

Seriously. It's me, not you.

Shuddup, I am not a weirdo...

6 comments:

Random Felines said...

Location location location

NitroStitch said...

When someone is out of context, I tend to be lost...not to mention lost in my own thoughts most of the time anyway.

Roses said...

Yes!
I once told someone, "I know that I know who you are, but you're out of context, and I can't think of how I know you."
He was pretty cool about it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I loved reading about someone who has a problem/challenge similar to my own. I identify people by their VOICES not their FACES. So, unless they speak I have no idea who they are. When my husband and I were first dating (over 49 years ago!) I was so afraid I would see him but not recognize him, and he would think I didn't love him. I really enjoyed this post.
Susan Saavedra

Just Ducky said...

No, feel the same way. I know your face but why am I seeing it here!

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

It is context! I am notorious for walking right past friends when they are where I don't expect to see them. A former roommate who was a bartender where I went once, a co-worker in a grocery store, etc. I expect to see people wjere I expect to see them.

And then there is my opposite. I had a friend who once suddenly told me to stop the car. He jumped out and yelled a greeting to a pedestrian. He later said "We went to 2nd grade together".

I can't conceive of that, but to him that was normal.