Thursday

25 October 2012

If you were on Facebook last night, and happen to be FB friends with me, you were subjected to the likes of this:





And this




And this


And this


And I'm sorry LOL

On a whim last night, we decided--while grocery shopping no less--to go to Cattlemen's for dinner. We had a cart loaded with things we could have had for dinner, but Cattlemen's has what home does not.

A killer bar.

And Thumpa needed to drink. For science.

Granted, I'm not a heavy drinker. I imbibe anywhere for 2-4 times a year, I get drunk easily and quickly, which makes me a cheap bar date. The last time I had anything was (I think) in May, when the Boy took us to Reno. I had one small Long Island Tea and a Spiced Rum while we were there, and the next morning I had horrible issues of the digestive nature. We had to check out of the hotel room by 11, and because of that we headed home rather than hang around for a while as planned.

I didn't think there was necessarily a connection at the time; from Christmas last year on I was having issues 2-3 times a month, thinking I was just catching one bug after another, but then came July and colitis, and the numbers added up, so to speak.

One of the thing we all talked about when we were there was the possibility of a family trip to Vegas this winter; I have a potential client in the area who has really needed to be pinned down with a deadline, and this seemed like a good way to kick her butt into gear. It's a half hour to 45 minute meeting, and then it's all vacation time for us.

I think the last time the 3 of us went somewhere was when we lived in North Dakota; we met friends in Minneapolis at the Mall of America, and later took Curt and his friend Wyatt there and to an amusement park.

He was 14 or 15; he's almost 30 now, so that's a long time.

In any case...in about a week and a half we're heading to Vegas.*

Vegas has booze.

Thump was no longer sure that she could handle any alcohol at all, and it seemed like a goood idea to have a couple of really strong drinks here, where any problems resulting from the consumption of said alcohol would happen at home, where I would at least be comfortable in my discomfort.

I downed two very stong Long Island Teas with dinner, and was drunk before I was 2 sips into the second one.

By the time we left, I was hammered...and then got on Facebook to play.

You people...you make me laugh so hard when I'm drunk that I dang near peed a couple of times.

I enjoyed the drinks a lot, and my friends a hell of a lot, and went to bed hoping that all would be well in the morning.

Now, I don't get hangovers.

But...

I was not the happiest of campers today. It wasn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but it was enough to let me know that booze is, for the most part, in my past. If I drink in the future, it will be close to home when I know I'll be home the next day, and maybe not even then because, hell, who wants that?

So...it's not likely I'll be drinking much in Vegas.

But on the plus side, the Boy assured me he would drink my share.

It warms my heart to know I raised such a considerate young man.


*Unlike Disney in December--which was an early celebration of our 30th anniversary--y'all can come play with us if you want!

8 comments:

jenianddean said...

Yeah, liquor and I parted ways a while back. It seems it sneaks up on me. (I'm not ruling out an occasional beer though.)

Katnip Lounge said...

I'm with ya...I had one loust WEAK gin and tonic a while back and it kicked my butt!
For two days.
You know The Lounge is in Vegas, right? You're welcome to stop in if you want to meet!

gizzylaw said...

We have done Vegas without alcohol for the last 15 years. (We determined that alcohol intake was not in our best interests...so to speak) It can be done quite easily with club soda and lime or add a touch of grenadine for color. The good thing is that most bars won't even charge you for them!
It gets to be a lot of fun watching people get loaded.

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

THat is too bad. We all need a cheap drunk every now and then!

Vicat said...

But it was SCIENCE, BITCHES! And pretty damned funny. I was envious, since I'm not allowed to drink for a bit longer, and have to drink vicariously through others.
Vicat

Just Ducky said...

AT least you know so that you don't get any issues and can enjoy your time.

las794 said...

I'm done with alcohol, too, for health reasons. And since I discovered Welch's fizzy Sparkling Grape Juice, I don't miss it a bit. Booze always did have that medicinal taste, anyway.

chaz said...

yeah sparkling grape juices and plain grape juice is as vintage as we get here too. makes us both really sick to our stomachs.