Monday

You’ve seen the infomercials.
Space age Swedish Memory Foam.
Probably wondered if the bed is as good as they claim.
As comfy.
Worth the money.

I’ve been sleeping on one for almost a month; the first 2 weeks were sheer torture, though I have allowed for the possibility that the stress from dealing with a sick kitty made it worse. I got one good night of sleep on it before it felt horrible again, and seriously contemplated sending it back.

Then I recalled the salesman mentioning that he found his was much more comfortable when he took the factory-provided mattress cover off. It didn’t make sense to me, but I read a similar comment in an online review, and figured it couldn’t hurt. So we took the cover off.

Lo and behold, the bed was more comfortable.

Instead of waking a dozen times every night, I’m only waking a few. Once in a while, I get up and my back is not in screaming pain.

But other times it is. And it’s not the specific pain I felt before; my entire back feels like it’s on fire. I suspect that’s because I don’t move during the night; if I wake up in the same position I was when I fell asleep, I will surely be in pain.

So.
Is the bed worth it?
Not really. In the end, after it’s broken in, it’s just another bed.

You can get a bed just as comfortable (or uncomfortable) that probably doesn’t require the lengthy break in period for a whole lot less. I also suspect that people who are not overweight will find it more comfy than people like myself, who are carrying just enough extra weight to make their butts sink into the foam…

I still have a couple of months to decide if I want to keep it or not. Right now, sending it back and getting another bed seems like more work than anything...but if the burning pain keeps up, I just might. I keep hoping it will suddenly be the most wonderful thing in the world. It might be, if I drop 70 pounds in 2 months.

Yeah.
I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: