Monday

Max and I have waged a morning Battle of the Glasses for years. When he thinks it's time for me to get out of bed--after he's punched me in the eye, meowed loudly right in my ear, stuck his entire nose up one of my nostrils, or dropped 16 pounds of Max Wonder right onto my face to wake me up--he goes for my glasses.

He sits on the edge of the bed and leans over towards the night stand, and whacks them to the floor. All along I've been pretty sure this was his "Now get your ass out of bed already!" temper tantrum, knowing I'd have to get up to get them.

But recently I got this nifty headboard, which also serves as a bookcase. And I've been putting my glasses there.

This was a puzzle to Max, who would wake me up and then go for the glasses that were no longer on the nightstand where he expected.

But.

Max is an observant kitty. At some point he realized that as I rolled over I reached to this particular spot in the headboard, and voila--glasses.

Yesterday morning when it was time for me to get up--I don't need an alarm clock; I have Max--he meowed over and over until I finally sighed and said "All right, I'm awake!" and then he went for the glasses.

But.

Instead of knocking them to the floor with a mighty swipe of his paw, he pulled them out from the back of the bookcase until he could get a grip on them, picked them up in his mouth, and then dropped them on my pillow.

Now I wonder...all these years when he's been knocking my glasses to the floor, has he been trying to get them for me? Has this been a one sided battle, with the Furry Wonder simply trying to be helpful? He is a smart kitty after all--I know better than to put anything he can get onto near the light switch, or he'll be flipping it on and off in the middle of the night. I think I feel a little bad, what with snapping at him most mornings for the last 6 and a half years to leave my freaking glasses alone.

Yes, my cat impresses me sometimes.

Yes, you can point and laugh.

:::wanders off to give the kitty a crunchy treat:::

No comments: