Wednesday

Max has discovered a new way to wake me up at Way Too Early in the morning. He takes his little paw, curls it into a furry little fist, and pokes me in the eye.

Seriously.

The first time I thought he was probably just touching to see if I was alive. Second time, it was just luck . But when he did it five mornings running…he knows exactly what he’s doing. Even when I dragged the squirt bottle out and had it ready, he poked me in the eye with that furry fist of fury and then ran as I reached to spray him.

I am not a morning person and he knows it.

But this morning…I woke up at 4:15. He was curled up on the dresser, saw I was awake, and practically squealed as he jumped onto the bed and raced towards my head. I was prepared for the clawless jab to my eye, but instead he plopped down, put his head on my shoulder, and squirmed to get as close as he could.

It was still the middle of the night for me, he wanted attention, and I was not going back to sleep until he got it.

So I rubbed his little head and scratched under his chin, and tried to fall back asleep. He jammed his cold wet nose into my armpit and started to purr, but I couldn’t even manage to doze. I stayed in bed--with the exception of 30 seconds when I had to go get Buddah off the Boy’s doorknob (he wanted in and was determined…)--until 6:15, long after Max had left the bedroom.

It’s now 5:30 in the evening, and my poor ass is dragging. I don’t know how the rest of you manage to wake up at human hours.

On the whole, I think I’d rather have Max poke me in the eye at 6:30; at least then I seem to be able to get back to sleep. This cuddling crap just throws me off completely.

No comments: