Thursday

18 February 2010

The Spouse Thingy and I have been making major efforts to lose weight; we started back in late July with Jenny Craig ( he's still on the JC program; they kicked me out in September) and have both made some decent progress. I'm down 49 pounds and he's close to the same. I'm thrilled to be down 49, but...

It's not 50.

Today is my "official" weigh day, and I had really hoped the scale would have inched down another notch, but it was exactly the same this morning as it was last Thursday.

Granted, this week has been hell on my body water-wise; I had a water weight swing that totaled 10 pounds, skipped meds a few days early and peed off 7 of it, and skipped them again last night hoping that would take care of the rest of it. But, the breakthrough wasn't as strong as I hoped, I didn't get up as many times (like earlier in the week) but theoretically I didn't have as much to shed, so that's not surprising.

Still, I'd hoped to get on the scale and see it down a pound from last week.

I'm getting frustrated. My week to week average has slowed down and it feels like I have too many weeks where I don't lose anything. I can look back and see that I did lose weight, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it. (Cue my inner toddler having a temper tantrum.)

I can't eat less than I do; I'm at 1200 calories a day and I know better than to routinely go below that. It happens; there are days when I look at what I've had through the day and I'm 100-200 calories short, but for the most part I take in 1200-1300 a day. I should be able to sit here and drool and still lose weight at that intake.

Drooling burns calories, right?

Yes, I know what the logical answer is. Just because I know it doesn't mean I want to do it. I want to sit here and drool and drop the poundage, not exercise and drop it.

Meh.

We went out yesterday and bought a treadmill; it'll be delivered tomorrow and hopefully the Spouse Thingy can put it together for me early next week. I don't want to sweat, but at least I can sweat and watch DVR'd Dr. Oz (whom I now see with pointy ears and pointy shoes, thanks to my son who pointed out that Dr. Oz looks kind of like an elf...)

Next week, barring medication complications, that scale will show a drop and I'll hit 50 pounds lost.

Hold me to it.

Then it's only 35 pounds to goal.

Sheesh.

15 comments:

las794 said...

You have my total admiration for losing so much weight already! Exercise blows--I hate getting all sweaty, too--but I know I have to go back to it if I want to lose the next 30 lbs of flab. Bleh. Dang it, where's a fat-burning phaser-thingy when you need one???

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

You have made great progress. You are down to the stubborn weight that was the first pounds you put on. They are harder to get off because they have been with you longer.

OK, I am no expert, but that is what weight loss experts have told me in the past! How do they know those are the oldest fat pounds?

Good luck with the new cloths rack...I mean tread mill.

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Remember it is possible to eat too LITTLE on a diet and that will halt your weight loss. A plateau is normal. However, one way to work through it is to change things up in your diet--eat meals different than what you have been eating--add in more protein or fat or go the opposite way and be more vegetarian for a week or so. Sometimes this shakes up your metabolism a bit more and will help.

Thumper said...

I got a verbal smackdown from another friend for eating too little...I had been guilty of that in the past, lesson learned.

I do need to take a harder look at what I've been eating lately, make an effort to =ugh= cook more...

Marti said...

We all reach plateaus. You'll get past it. When I did weight watchers (twice but the big loss was when I lost 30 lbs.), it helped to drink a lot of water, but maybe your metabolism is different. They told us that if we ate to little that metabolism would slow down and the body would hold on to the weight.

Congratulations on losing 49. That's terrific. Wish I could motivate myself to lose about 30 pounds, a little at a time, but being unemployed for so long has been a downer and looking for a job is hard enough without trying to lose weight at the same time.

Marti said...

Also, it's great that you got a treadmill. I don't have room in my little apartment for one. I do have a lifecycle exercise bike that I've had for 20 years. I swim at least every other day for an hour at a time.

Sweating isn't really that bad. I used to run. Just shower afterwards and then you feel really good.

The Furry Bambinos said...

Congratulations on losing 49!!! You should be very very proud of yourself! I need to shed about 15 pounds, but have not had the motivation to start trying. When I see your TMFA chart, it reminds me that if I had started already, I might be there by now. What motivated you in the first place to get started? You are an inspiration.

And by the way, if you eat standing up, the calories don't count. ;-)

Mom Sue to The Furry Bambinos

Roses said...

Thumper: Don't underestimate the power of watching DVDs while walking in your pajamas. The time goes by a whole lot quicker than you'd think... especially if you don't allow yourself to check the time outside of commercial breaks.
What I hate is wasting the extra time for a shower afterwards.

Could be worse. Could be you'd have to get dressed, drive across town, walk on a treadmill in front of other people at a gym, then drive home again.

If it makes you feel any better, I have to get up at 6am to walk. I hate it. But, I really do enjoy being able to watch a whole TV show on DVD without anyone bothering me.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the weight loss. When people ask, do you fudge it and say you've lost 50 pounds? I would :)

The Meezers or Billy said...

Contrats on losing 49! Plateaus suck! do you do dairy? an extra 8 oz of skim milk a day will usually make the scale move big time for me!

kenju said...

Good luck with the last pounds. My mom always said the plateaus were the worst and it was easy for her to get discouraged. I hope you make it to your goal!

Thumper said...

People don't really ask, so I don't need to fudge. The only person who comes right out and asks is the Spouse Thingy's Jenny Craig consultant, and I give her the truth.

And yep, I do dairy, in the form of fat free yogurt. 3 a day, mostly because it's easy and it makes a less filling meal a whole lot more filling and it's a form of dairy I can tolerate.

And Roses...why bother showering? You're just gonna sweat again later... ;)

yellojkt said...

50 pounds is fantastic. That takes a ton of will power to be so dedicate. Good luck on the next 35.

The Whiskeratti said...

That is very cool to have lost so much! Great job!