Monday

15 February 2010

I'm over the cold for the most part, at least I'm not coughing my head off and not plastered to the sofa wondering where the hell the cabana boys with my Popsicles and chicken soup are. I got whammed while I was suffering with (let's be delicate) with the mother of all female-type problems, which didn't make things any easier, but gave me lots to whine about about.

Lucky Spouse Thingy.

Then yesterday, just in time for Valentine's Day, I got whacked with a killer headache. It rode on the coattails of my DDAVP working a little too well...yesterday morning I was 9 pounds heavier than I was just a couple of days before, a nice sign that I'm retaining enough water to quench the thirst of an entire football team for three or four days.

So I did what I usually do. I skipped my meds last night and resigned myself to a night of getting up every 30-45 minutes and measured drinking of fluids, typically 64 ounces. I could suck down a whole lot more when my meds wear off--I will steal the soda right out of your hands when that kind of thirst hits and I probably won't apologize because I'll be too busy trying to find something else cold and wet to suck down--but the idea is to shed the water weight.

Only problem is that I only got up every 90 minutes, and drank all of 3 ounces. Good, but not ideal. It wasn't until after noon today that I was obviously free of DDAVP, peeing like a maniac and drinking like a fish.

Shut up. I like my similes.

As the thirst ramped up and the water weight started to come off, the headache--untouched by Motrin--began to abate. It's still lingering, little fingers of watery death poking at my brain, but it's getting better.

I need to ask my doc to switch my meds, I think. This is happening more and more often, although typically without it being quite that much water and without there being a pounding headache.

But! The weather is awesome and looks like it will be over the next few days, so we're taking the bikes out and riding tomorrow. Maybe even Wednesday, too.

Sorry to point it out to the snow bound, but it hit 70 here today.

70!

With sunshine!

Life is good when you've peed all you can pee, and there will be riding.

14 comments:

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Health problems suck! Enjoy the warm weather and the ride!

Shaggy and Scout said...

Must be a day for pee.
I just finished reading in the paper about a local entrepreneur and her invention that allows a woman to pee standing up so as to avoid dirty bathrooms at rest stops and squatting in the woods for the athletic gals who are far from a potty. Go-Girl.com

kenju said...

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well and hope that changes soon.

70*?? Oh you lucky person!

A-Nonny-Moose said...

Yeah, this weekend was great riding weather. We rode up to Berryessa, then down through Napa, and over to Rio Vista.

Marti said...

Dark, dreary with wet snow that didn't stick here in NYC on Tuesday. I hope to see sunshine tomorrow.

Glad you are on the mend.

Peace said...

We got up to 45 degrees yesterday. The snow is melting away, before long....Well I don't want to jinx it.
About that DDAVP are there forms of the stuff that last longer or shorter? I have only ever seen the pills and nasal spray up close and personal and they do wear off. Unfortunately for the kids I see with this usually in the middle of an assembly at school or something. Do you take some long acting form of DDAVP?

Monty Q. Kat said...

MomBean says your 70 degree weather can suck it.

I think she needs to get out today...

Thumper said...

DDAVP comes in nasal spray, injection, pills, and this funky nasal tube thing... I've been using the spray but obviously it's working too well for me right now. I don't seem my doc until April, and if it's still working overtime, I'm going to ask to switch to the pills. They don't work quite as well and I can control breakthrough better... I'd rather have a little bit every night than have to force it a couple times a week.

Lemon Stand said...

Well I'm glad that you are feeling better but I really think that I don't like you at the moment. It hasn't gotten above freezing in weeks. It dreary, cold and frozen here. I dream of sunny weather. I dream of riding my bike. I dream of my daffodils, tulips and crocuses. I dream of not having to start me car with the remote starter just so my hands don't stick to the steering wheel like a tongue stuck to a dry frozen Popsicle...

Peace said...

Can you lengthen the time between sprays in the meantime? Like if you were already taking it every 12hours change to every 18... something like that? Might help till you can see the doc.

Karen Jo said...

I am sorry you have been having health problems, but glad that you are feeling better now. Happy riding!

Peace said...

Oh, I am glad you are feeling better. My previous comment about the weather...clearly I said too much. The snow is back. :(

Thumper said...

The only problem with lengthening the time between doses is sleep...it's a major PITA getting up every 45 minutes to pee, but I do it intentionally once a week anyway. Right now the easiest thing is to pick a night to not take it and just deal with it, rather than rely on it to wear off and then be somewhere inconvenient when it does.

If it gets to be too problematic, I'll try to get in to see her sooner.

Peace said...

Oh my gosh Karen I just thought of something. You have lost 49 pounds! How long has it been since your dose was changed? Hmmm