Thursday

Is it appropriate to say “Happy Veteran’s Day?”

Whether it is or not, that’s what I’m saying. Happy Veteran’s Day. If you’re a veteran, or currently serving in the military, I wish for you nothing but happiness. Well, I also wish for you Peace and contentment, and a bubble of safety 10 meters thick.

Thank you for protecting my rights.
Thank you for being willing to serve, protecting my freedoms.
Thank you for enduring the sheer boredom that explodes into moments of sheer terror.
Thank you for my youth, my adulthood, and the fact that I got this old at all, without knowing true oppression.

The Spouse Thingy is in the last weeks of his 20 years service in the USAF. Right now he’s on terminal leave, but as of December 1st he’s an Official Retiree, with all the benefits that entails. And we’re pretty sure that one of the biggest rights he has is standing smack dab in the middle of an aisle in the commissary with his cart turned sideways, blocking everyone else.

So…for the Active Duty, thank you, too, for not getting all pissy at those who served before you, and are keeping you from getting to the canned veggies and spaghetti sauce. And I hope that one day you, too, will be ticking off the fresh-faced airmen and soldiers and sailors with your cart in the commissary, because you will have earned it.

No comments: