Tuesday

25 January 2011

I'm willing to beet anyone reading this knows their own email address. Right? You are all intelligent enough to know your own initials, own last name, whether or not you had numbers associated with the email. So I'm guessing you don't wander around the Internet signing up for varied services using the wrong freaking email address.

Like, one that belongs to someone else.

But the person who keeps using my email address for every damned thing under the sun. STOP IT ALREADY. You're a moron. Really. Because you keep using my address, I now know what activities your kids are involved in, where their scout meetings are help and at what times, I know what schools they go to, I know what car you drive and when your scheduled maintenance appointments are, I know your birth date, and now I know that you're out there looking for love.

Oh yeah. You signed up with match.com today.

If I were a lesser person, I would log onto your account--because hey, in the confirmation email they sent me your user name AND password--and screw with things, but I'm not that person. No, I'm now having to jump through hoops to get match.com to remove my email address from their system.

I don't really need them, you know? I've been with the same person for 30 years and I don't see that changing, so getting any email from them at all is a waste of my time. To have to get it to stop, well, that's just freaking annoying.

I wouldn't mind if it was an isolated incident, but you keep doing it.

Freaking stop it already.

You're not alone; there's another person who had a brain hiccup and used my address, but she at least tracked the error down and is apologetic when I get stuff meant for her. You? You're just bouncing all over the place, and you've done it in a way that leaves your personal information open to someone you don't know.

It's a damn good thing I'm not one to scam, or honey, I would be taking your ass for a long, painful ride.

11 comments:

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Good luck! I hope you can get it stopped!

This is Curt's display name. said...

Go to the match profile and leave a message there.. Maybe if they sign in they'll see it and figure out their mistake.

Susan (faithful lurker) said...

Best of luck! The same thing happened to my poor husband, who wasn't really interested in going to baby showers for the friends of the woman who used his email address. Or in reviewing her bills, reading information related to her medical profession, etc.

kat4 said...

Log in to the match.com account and cancel it. She will have to create a new one and maybe she will enter her email address correctly that time.

kmilyun said...

Good grief, well obviously not good.
Your patience and restraint . ...
me I think I would have some harmless fun.

David E. Francis said...

Thumper,

Have you considered replying to the kids' coaches, schools, and scoutmasters; and contact MATCH.COM, informing them that this person has hi-jacked your e-mail address and that you would like them to remove your address?

Or, if you are really somewhat annoyed, you could file a police report for identity theft. Since you already have their name and location it should be easy for your local police to contact their local police and have them investigate.

Just a couple of quick ideas.

Dee

P.S. How's Buddah?

kenju said...

How dumb can she be??

The Whiskeratti said...

Can't imagine what her problem is, but we're glad - on her behalf - that you're a person of integrity. Of course, if Max got this info, who knows what he might do? :)

Just Ducky said...

As much as it would be interesting to do like kat4 say, no to do anything nasty. But we like Dee's idea too, reply that she screwed up with the email.

Anonymous said...

While it is annoying to you, imagine how she will feel knowing all that information is going to a total stranger. Making a mistake is not illegal, and I would think the police would not approve of the idea of reporting it as a crime.

debzy said...

I bet this person is wondering why they never get any email...