Sunday

The Good, The Bad, and The Sad

The Good

The Boy arrived on the 22nd of December and spent Christmas with us. We had a good time (well, the Spouse Thingy and I did, I can’t speak for the Boy, who may have been simply humoring us…) We saw a couple of movies, ate out a lot, laughed a whole lot (especially when the Boy clobbered the Spouse Thingy with a gigantic snowball right upside the head), and had a very nice Christmas Day – complete with 5 inches of snow. Which is, thankfully, already melting. I wanted a White Christmas but have no desire for it to stick around.

The Bad

We completely trashed the house. Now, I’m not the world’s greatest housekeeper by any stretch of the imagination, but since we moved in here we’ve managed to keep it looking halfway decent. But, the day before the Boy got here the vacuum cleaner broke, and with a dog that sheds like crazy, that’s a bad thing. Everything is covered in a thick layer of golden dog hair. And we left things laying around, didn’t really pick things up… so there’s quite a bit of housework to do now. And the Boy went back home yesterday.

The Sad

Today is the one year anniversary of the death of one of my most treasured friends, Moe Brennan. She was far too young to die, only 50, and left a huge hole in not only my life, but the lives of many others who were drawn to her sparkling personality, and the love of her life, Rick.

Moe was an amazing person; she lived with incredible amounts of pain due to a long list of medical problems, but she somehow managed to be completely supportive and positive, even though her life was lived through a cloud of pain. I miss her still, and can’t imagine how much Rick must miss her. And how hard this day must be hitting him.

Most days I think of Moe with a smile, but I think I’ll let myself feel a little sorry for myself today, sorry for no longer having her in my life. But only for a little while, because if she could, she’d kick my ass if I dwelled too long on things I can’t change. But damn, I still miss her.

No comments: