Tuesday

11 July 2023

 Odds n Endz #624,899.9536

I've been working on a manuscript, and because it's been so long since the start of the series, I needed to go back and read them again.

Kinda wish I hadn't, because it's left me with a conundrum and a problem to figure out.

I got to The Space Between Whens, and realized with horror that what went to print was not the final draft. The file used was likely the first draft. A really bad, passive-voice-laden, words-missing, first draft hellscape.

I'm pretty sure I know how it happened, and also know it's not my fault, but still...thousands and thousands of copies of that book are out there, and it's the wrong freaking draft.

I don't know if Amazon will allow a corrected upload.

I do know I'm having a Come-To-Jesus discussion with the responsible party soon.

===

Back in February our long-time doctor retired with very little notice. As in...none. We received a letter in the mail stating he was no longer seeing patients, and we needed to pick a new one.

Ok, fine. I get it. Last time I saw him he seemed as if he was done, and after the last few years, who can blame him? He was pushing 70, so sure, I get it. But we basically had to choose another without any real knowledge of the available doctors. Going through the list and their bios online, I picked a much younger doc who, unless she changes practices, should still be working long after we're dead.

Next appointment with her wasn't until June. That was all right, unless we got sick. I did wrench my back, badly, but if it had gotten any worse they would have just given me an appointment with a random doc, whoever had an available appointment. So, no harm, no foul.

We finally met with her--a requirement, she wants to meet all her new patients--and the 15-20 minute appointment I thought we were getting turned out to be a 90 minute thing, and she went over everything.

Long story short, she listened. Like, really listened. And for the first time I have a real answer about my back pain--spinal stenosis, not just arthritis--and a new medication to control the pain. I can't take NSAIDs any more, so no Ibuprofen or Naproxyn, and thought I just had to suffer. It's an off-label use of Cymbalta, and over time should play with the serotonin and other fun things in my brain to provide relief.

She also gave the Spouse Thingy the same thing to deal with arthritic knees.

The only downside...there are side effects. A lot of side effects that could take 8 weeks to resolve.

EIGHT WEEKS.

And I've had a lot of them. Nausea (which is already abating), lightheadedness, some tummy issues, but the biggest one is sleepiness.

Not just the yawns. This is like SLEEPINESS on a major scale. I have taken more naps in the last two weeks than I have in the last two decades. When I'm awake, I'm sleepy. My eyelids feel like they weigh ten pounds each. I fall asleep sitting up. The only thing I'm not doing is drooling. I have felt punch-drunk most of the time and I'm surprised I haven't fallen asleep while standing.

But it's working. I'm not worth much right now, and probably won't be for a few more weeks, but it's working.

===

The biggest thing going on here:


These two came home on June 26th, and have kept us super busy since. They're a whole bunch of go go go, and everything is new to them, and they've made this a very happy place again.


They also spend a lot of time doing this. Usually on me. Which works, since I can snooze while they do.

I had expected them to be several kinds of freaked out when we let them out of their carriers the first time (in the safety of their own room) but it took less than ten minutes before they were crawling all over us. It was like...hey, we get it, this is home and you belong to us, and we're going to make sure you know it. Also, we like climbing your legs whether you have pants on or not.


This was day one. And they've gotten even more affectionate since then. His name is Captain Jack (called CJ) and her name is Osgood (called Ozzy) and I don't think we could have chosen a better pair than these two.

Remind me of that when they totally destroy the furniture, which they seem determined to do.

(No I don't really care. We knew they would, and when they understand what not to do and where they should scratch instead, we can replace anything they're really ripped up. They just haven't learned yet.)

Ngl, I still miss Max and Buddah, but I already love these two like crazy. They were meant to be.

 

CJ

Ozzy



9 comments:

Just Ducky said...

Love, love, love. Yes, nice for a doc who listens.

gizzylaw said...

A doc that really listens and two cats that love you--what more could you ask for???

Anonymous said...

A doc who really takes the time and really listens is a rare find these days. I hope the side effects aren’t too troublesome and wear off quickly. I’m glad CJ and Ozzie are part of your family.

kenju said...

I have a new doc like that. She listened more and asked so many questions that I was surprised. No doc ever showed as much interest in me before. The only trouble is that she is only in the nearby office twice a week and the rest of the time, she is 15 or so miles away. Not totally undoable - but not as handy as the local place, which is 5 mins. away.

Love the kitties!

Vicat said...

Amazon does, thankfully, allow corrected version uploads. As for the kitties SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!

messymimi said...

I'm so sorry about the wrong version getting out there, that's not a happy thing.

All the rest of your news is, though, and you will always love Max and Buddah. They helped grow your heart big enough that now you can love CJ and Ozzy.

Hnossa said...

KITTENS! So happy for you and your new lap warmers/destroyers of furniture. AND a doctor who listens? You hit the jackpot.

The bad version sucks, but you have your new feline overlords to console you.

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

THey are precious! I looked at kittens at the adoption center today. Someday I will bring two home. I Don't think it is fair to Angel at 16 to being kittens in. Max had a hard time adjusting to Kirby and Angel, so I won't make get use to kittens.

But they were so many cute ones!

Vicki, Sophia and Mia said...

So glad to see you have new kitties!